Personal tools

You are here: Home / About Our Library / History

History

A history of the Library When the Rudd Culture Club set out (in 1956)to start a library, a commity from various organizations was chosen to work toward that goal. It was first housed in the old barbershop, which was donated by Mrs Chas. Cords. Books were donatedby people of Rudd, and they took turns serving as volunteer librarians. In 1959 the Champlain Service Station wanted to expand into the library's space, so a new building was constructed, (the present bank building) and deeded by Mrs. Cords to the town in memory of her husband, Dr. Charles Cords, and her son Chas. Cords Jr. At this time the town council appointed a library board, allowing the library to receive tax support. By 1967 the small building was no longer adequate. The town raised $8000 which was matched by the Kinney Lindstrom Foundation for a new building on the sight of the old Community Hall. This is our present location, and we could certainly use a larger building at this time!! An interesting note, is that one of the women pushing for the first library, was the grandmother of our present director!!

There are currently no items in this folder.